Saturday, April 10, 2010

Workshop

I'm happy to announce that I will be teaching a poetry workshop on persona poems April 17th in Harrodsburg, Ky. for The Kentucky State Poetry Society mid-year conference. For details, please check their website at http://kystatepoetrysociety.org In case your'e wondering what exactly a persona poem is, it is a poem that appears to be written from the POV of someone other than ourselves, as if they are speaking to us, telling their story and we are merely taking dictation. The POV can come from anyone or anything, from the famous to mundane to imaginary. For the best examples of a persona poem that I can think of, check out Ai Ogawa, a true master of the form. She writes a wicked piece on Oppenheimer, J. Edgar Hoover and many, many others. I can believe that I'm actually reading words from her subjects.

I aim to make this workshop fun, so be prepared for much sillyness, to forget work is not always hard, and to let someone else share the use of our pens long enough to tell us a story.

2 comments:

  1. I'm signed up to take your workshop and I can't wait - not only to learn from you, but to actually meet you in person! See you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bobbi! I'm looking forward to meeting you and learning from YOU as well.

    ReplyDelete